Friday, August 26, 2011

Summer's End

There are few things as sad as empty rooms in a summerhouse on a gorgeous August day.   For the past week our rental has been full of people, but this morning, we are but two, bumping around each other for the last few days.  There should be sand to sweep out of the house and the smell of the grill, nightly excursions to the ice cream parlor in town, and my quintessential summer treat, fried clams.


What makes me hesitate to write my annual Ode to Summer is that I’ve been tres reflective this vacation, even though we’ve managed to stave off the predicted thunderstorms that were supposed to hit last week, and no one got into a teary brawl as can sometimes happens with Forced Family Fun, a term my friend Robin coined when we were teenagers. 

We are at the end of our two weeks in Wellfleet, Mass; one town over from Truro, oddly called “the Lower Cape” even though it’s due north of its elbow.  Truro was where we spent our family vacations in a true seasonal two story on Highland Avenue, the second floor bedrooms separated by tongue and groove paneling that never made it to the ceiling, allowing for children and parents alike to hear everything and tease each other, call out "Goodnights" and laugh at dad’s snoring before dropping off to sleep.  Those days in Truro were some of the best parts of my childhood, influencing me in ways I am still discovering. Respect for the ocean and its treasures - a piece of sea glass to join a colorful collection on a kitchen window shelf back home, a perfect angel wing shell, driftwood aged by salt water, a game of gin rummy ending in rousing hysterics, the acknowledgement of summer and the change of seasons.  Learning these simple pleasures.


We’ve traveled to P-Town no less than three times, boiled eight lobsters and a dozen ears of corn, supped on pints of chowder, went for long walks on the cove.  My sister, younger brother and I try to recreate the best parts of those Cape summers from our youth, but we just couldn’t muster up the enthusiasm to see “Smurfs” at the Wellfleet Drive-In, a patch of tar worthy of some of my favorite memories. 


We’ve spent our days together at any one of the five beaches. I’ve been studying for my GREs, trying to remember my high school math and cursing periodically when an algebraic equation eludes me. I ask about Quantitative Reasoning and am answered by blank stares.  Indeed. I would have the same reaction. I admire the New Yorkers who brave coming to the Cape, Land of the Red Sox.  When we were kids, and cars were the size of small watercraft, we’d mimic our parents when the orange and blue license plates would crawl up and down Route 6a… “There go the New Yorkers…”. Even though I live and am registered to vote there, I still consider myself a New England gal.  While we are at Marconi, tide high, a couple of my city companions complain about the water quality – “It’s like swimming in a bunch of diarrhea” and “ It’s cheaper than a seaweed wrap at the Canyon Ranch Spa.   I haven’t showered in three days, I’m going to have to check out that outdoor thing”.  My sister and I look at each other but don’t say anything.  We don’t go into the water though. The moment for jumping the waves has been lost.


I’ve been plucking away as best I can on my guitar with Phil, finishing old crossword puzzles or catching up on “Mad Men” with my sister until I’m truly tired and ready the hit the bed, around 10:30 PM.   When you’re older and the kids that your siblings had are now in their early 20s, raring to go explore the local bars with the friends they’ve invited, it makes you reminisce about the energy you no longer possess. Time speeds by so quickly, you’re trying to reel it back in like an 8-pound striped bass on the end of your line. 



On the late afternoon of the 14th, Siobhan and I head to Duck Beach to witness the extreme low tide.  Once a month the ocean stretches its arms back towards England; a phenomenon brought on the by the full moon. We laugh in wonder at how incredibility gorgeous the sky can be. Pepper cannot find any birds to chase as he did in Davis Park, and the plovers are just too miniscule and busy to attract his attention but he is happy to race up and down the beach and we are happy to chase him.  Clammers and families and lovers have toted their chairs and umbrellas way out away from the pebbly beaches to enjoy the quiet lap of waves rolling on the sand bars, a sound quite different from the roar of the ocean side.




Mom and I have walked through the house making sure that the beds have been stripped and tossing everything into the wash.   We are leaving the day after tomorrow.  The house is empty save for the remains of distractions we brought with us, my guitar, board games, and back issues of New Yorkers.  We are in the midst of a Scrabble-off. This morning Pepper & I braved it alone at Calhoon Hallow beach, but the sand finally drove us away. The wind is starting to pick up, advance warning of Hurricane Irene, but most of the vacationers welcome the balmy temperatures after the past two nights.



With dramatic weather comes dramatic sunsets, and I have been trying to keep the tradition my mother started all of those years ago in Truro when she and Pat Hall would call out “SUNSET” and drive off to Head of the Meadow beach.  It was important to say goodbye to the day.  I don my yellow mustard colored Cape Cod hooded sweatshirt, reminiscent of high school and head out into the 70-degree chill. It smells like fall and this reminds me why I love the East Coast so much. The shores of Wellfleet are truly magnificent; they are shores you can dream on for miles.  





15 comments:

Richard said...

So great to have KAT TALES again!!! Thanks for the update, Kat. Miss you a lot, so your blog is especially welcome!

You can find out what evil I've been up to at www.bruisesthegin.com. Ha!

Richard
xoxoxox

La said...

Thanks for sharing, that was beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I remember staying with you at that house you used to rent way back then- and the "party line" telephone with the neighbors! ~Soupy

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures - you all look great! Great to see Mom too! Miss you all! ~ Soupy

Susan Lavine said...

Spent last 48 hours receiving notices from Bethany Beach regarding evacuations and preparing for Irenemaggedon, postearthquake, it was very meaningful to pause and read your lovely piece and remember why we love the beach, family and you!
XO
Susan

J. Orbom said...

Maybe it's just because I've been traveling/adventuring with a bunch of smelly dudes, but your words have such a lovely feminine feel to them. While reading this my shoulders rolled back and my neck lost a bit of tension, you know?
Love,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Nice refresh on an old tale. Warms my heart to hear your words and see the fam. Keep on scribing! It suites you

Anonymous said...

Love hearing from you. As usual,your blog is fascinating. Please add me back to your list: lrdsolomon2000@yahoo.com
Thanks, Nina Brewster

Lee Ann Groff-Daudet said...

Love it Kat! Glad to see you posting your writing again...keep on sharing please!! Can't wait to see you soon...

Bea said...

There are so many bits to comment on, so I'll just say that it's great to read of your end-of-summer excursion.

Best of luck with the GREs!
xx

Anonymous said...

I miss Kat Tales so much!!!! Thank you. love it. Mare

Mark said...

Wish I could have joined you down there. I ve been at the cape since I was 6 weeks old, I feel it in my bones. Truro was like heaven on earth...we spent alot of time there in the fall, when everyone was gone. I really hope to see you soon,. as I am living on borrowed time!! Love to y'all

katsninelives said...

Mark - we would have loved to see you too. There are so many with your name out there, can you let me know which one I have the pleasure of re-connecting with?

Anonymous said...

Great blog Kat! I loved being with you both in New York City and in Wellfleet.
I love you, MOM
Let me know who Mark is....

Mark Miller said...

Another evocative chronicle from a thoughtful and observant traveler o' the mind and heart. Your voice is ever more distinctive, Kat. Bon voyages!

Shameless Crushes...

find life experiences and swallow them whole.
travel.
meet many people.
go down some dead ends and explore dark alleys.
try everything.
exhaust yourself in the glorious pursuit of life.
-lawrence k. fish

Yoga For Peace

read much and often

Cleopatra: A Life
Travels with Charley: In Search of America
Never Let Me Go
The Angel's game
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Bel-Ami
Dreaming in French: A Novel
The Post-Birthday World
A Passage to India
The Time Traveler's wife
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Catcher in the Rye
One Hundred Years of Solitude
The Kite Runner
Eat, Pray, Love
Slaughterhouse-Five
Les Misérables
The Lovely Bones
1984
Memoirs of a Geisha


read much and often»